My name is Derek Mackenzie and I am the Managing Director of The Trustee for Engineering and Environmental Services T/A FloodWorks . My vision if for all of our rainwater to be clean, clear and healthy from the moment it touched the roof or paddock, until it discharges in to our rivers and oceans. FloodWorks achieves through intelligent, innovative sustainable design.
From the moment rain touches the ground, it picks up and transports sediment, organic material, pollutants and the increased volume of water itself. Due to a high density of rural settlement, the region’s rivers and estuaries tend to be affected by changed runoff conditions caused by land clearing, agricultural use, urban development and recreation.
I dream of a time when my children can swim in our local rivers and i can catch and eat fish knowing that the water is clean and healthy. I can see a time when urban and agricultural development can be managed in such a way that the water in our rivers will once again be clean and clear. A place where i can see sea grasses and sandy shoals, where i can see fish swimming and the riparian areas are not clogged with weeds. I can imagine my little family picnicking on the banks of our local Wilson River at Lismore swimming and fishing and I would be safe in the knowledge that the water is clean and healthy for my family. This is my vision. Lets work towards this together.
See the Wilson River Landcare Group for more information. http://www.landcare.nsw.gov.au/groups/wilsons-river-landcare-group-inc
FloodWorks is a multidisciplinary consultancy specialising in the planning and design of sustainable built urban environments .
FloodWorks is committed to the pursuit of local sustainable development through innovative environmental design, and offers practical, focused and cost effective consulting services to clients to the Development sector.
FloodWorks specialises in:
- Sustainable Civil Design and Planning Services
- 2D Flood and Stormwater Modelling & Risk Management
- Urban Stormwater Network Hydraulic Analysis
- Water Quality Management including Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD)
- Detention Basin Hydraulic Design
- Naturalised Wetland and Waterway Design
- Water Balance Modelling and Reuse
- Erosion Sediment Controls & High Efficiency Sediment Basins
- Environmental Approvals (Noise, Ecological….)
OUR CORE VALUES
FloodWorks is committed to sustainable development through the incorporation of Social, Environmental and Economic considerations into all of our designs and into every part of our day to day business operations.
- Accountability – Acknowledging and assuming responsibility for actions, products, decisions, and policies.
- Balance – Taking a proactive stand to create and maintain a healthy work-life balance
- Commitment – Committing to great product, service, and other initiatives that impact lives within and outside the organization.
- Community –Contributing to society and demonstrating corporate social responsibility.
- Diversity – respecting the diversity and giving the best of composition. Establishing an employee equity program.
- Empowerment – Encouraging employees to take initiative and give the best. Adopting an error-embracing environment to empower employees to lead and make decisions.
- Innovation – Pursuing new creative ideas that have the potential to change the world.
- Integrity – Acting with honesty and honor without compromising the truth
- Ownership – Taking care of the company and customers as they were one’s own.
- Safety – ensuring the health and safety of employees and going beyond the legal requirements to provide an accident-free workplace.
HOW DOES FLOODWORKS CREATE VALUE FOR YOUR COMPANY?
Water Sensitive Urban Design will save you money and improve environmental outcomes over time. Specific advantages of this approach include:
- Improved ecological outcomes and reduced management costs
- Fast tracked approval and improved support from Council
- Improved acceptance of proposed development by the community. In fact the community can become your champion
- An increased sense of prestige, amplified purchasing intention and premium pricing by the Eco aware purchaser
- Reduced environmental risks and increased long term sustainability of the project
- Recognition by industry and peers for environmental best practice, including awards in design
I hope you will join me on my quest to improve the water quality of out creeks and waterways for ourselves and our children and our grandchildren.